Seven suspected militants have been killed in a day-long gun battle with Saudi security forces north of the capital Riyadh, officials say.
The violence erupted after police surrounded a house at al-Ras in al-Qassim province.
Fifteen officers were wounded in the exchange, the provincial governor said.
Saudi security forces have been waging a campaign against Islamic militants blamed for a series of attacks on foreign workers and government offices.
The province of Qassim is one of the most religiously conservative areas in the kingdom.
The shoot-out began early on Sunday and according to witnesses, gunfire could still be heard on Monday morning.
The gunmen fled to a nearby building that was still under construction, the governor, Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdul-Aziz was quoted as saying.
“They were asked to surrender, but those people are known not to listen,” he told state television.
The suspected militants also reportedly used grenades against their attackers and several security vehicles had been damaged.
Late on Sunday, an interior ministry spokesman had said the resistance from the gunmen was “much weaker than it was earlier”.
The spokesman added that security forces were hoping to “finish this within hours”.
Since 2003, Islamic militants have carried out suicide bombings and fought battles with security forces.
The attacks have tended to target foreign workers in the kingdom and have been blamed on groups linked to Osama Bin Laden’s al-Qaeda organisation.
Saudi authorities published a list of 26 men it blamed for the violence – all but five of whom are now dead or in custody.