(KHALEEZ TIMES) TEL AVIV – Israeli security officials said on Friday morning that they had 50 intelligence warnings of Palestinian militants planning to launch attacks, Israeli media reported. The officials said most of the attacks were being prepared by independent cells of Fatah militants.
They accused the southern Lebanese Islamic fundamentalist Hezbollah movement of funding the renegade cells.
Hezbollah seeks to destroy the relative calm of the past two weeks, ahead of next TuesdayÂ’s four-way summit in the Egyptian resort of Sharm a-Sheikh, they charged.
The accusations follow a day of renewed attempts by militants in the West Bank and Gaza to launch attacks, despite an informal ceasefire abstracted by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas from leaders of the radical Hamas and Islamic Jihad movement.
A Palestinian militant was shot dead at a central Gaza Strip junction Thursday evening after opening fire and throwing grenades at Israeli soldiers.
Gunmen later in the evening opened fire on an Israeli army jeep near Hebron in the southern West Bank and injured four soldiers, two of them moderately.
The Israeli army said also that soldiers caught a Palestinian teenager carrying a bag with a bomb belt at a checkpoint near the northern West Bank city of Nablus.
Police in Jerusalem had earlier been placed on high alert after receiving information that a would-be suicide bomber had entered the city.