The Israel Defense Forces on Tuesday lifted censorship on the fact that the Israel Air Force carried out an air strike against a target deep in Syrian territory on September 6.
In an unusually strict measure, the military censor had prevented Israeli media from reporting on the strike, unless the reports were based on revelations in the foreign press.
The IDF is still maintaining censorship on the details of the air strike, including the target, which troop forces were involved, the success of the strike, and the decision-making process that led up to it.
The censorship was lifted following a Haaretz request, primarily due to the fact that Syrian President Bashar Assad confirmed the air strike in an interview broadcast by the British Broadcasting corp. on Monday.
Assad told the BBC that Israeli warplanes attacked an unused military building, the first time Syria officially acknowledged an air raid had taken place.
Assad charged that the Israeli airstrike showed that Israel is not interested in making peace. Israel cannot talk about peace and carry out their attacks against a neighboring country, he said.
Assad also said his country does not want nuclear projects, civilian or military. We’re not interested in any nuclear activity, he said. We don’t even mention a peaceful reactor for electricity.
Previously, Syrian officials had said only that the Israeli warplanes entered the country’s airspace, came under fire from anti-aircraft defenses, and dropped munitions and fuel tanks over northeastern Syria to lighten their loads while they fled.
Assad said the raid last month showed Israel’s visceral antipathy toward peace.
According to foreign media reports, the air strike apparently targeted a North Korea-built nuclear facility in northeastern Syria. Syria and North Korea, however, have both vehemently denied any nuclear cooperation.