Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden will issue the next of his video messages after a massive attack on US territory, Saudi weekly Al-Majallah quotes an official of the terror network as saying, in its next edition.
Quoting an e-mail received from a man who goes by the name of Abu Mohammed al-Ablaj, the weekly reports that “an emissary of bin Laden has informed me that the al-Qaeda chief’s (next) appearance (on video cassette) will come after a deadly, far-reaching operation on American territory.
“In the video, bin Laden will evoke the success of his backers in once again striking the United States to the core and America’s failure (in its anti-terrorist campaign) both outside and inside the country,” the al-Qaeda official was reported as saying in the e-mail.
“Bin Laden will also reaffirm al-Qaeda’s determination to continue its war against America, until its defeat,” said the message from Ablaj, who last February announced to the Saudi weekly that bin Laden would release a video statement after the US-led war in Iraq.
The most recent message alleged to be from bin Laden was an audiotape broadcast last week by Dubai-based Al-Arabiya satellite channel, but its Qatar-based rival Al-Jazeera said the tape was the same one it had aired more extensively on October 18.
Both Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya, the leading Arab news channels, have been accused by US officials of inciting violence by airing such tapes of al-Qaeda leaders as well as those of deposed Iraqi president Saddam Hussein before he was captured by US forces on December 13. They have denied the charge.
A day before the alleged bin Laden tape was aired, Al-Jazeera broadcast a tape purported to be from bin Laden’s right-hand man Ayman al-Zawahiri, in which he said the Americans were beginning to stagger under the blows of al-Qaeda.
A US intelligence official said in Washington that CIA analysts had concluded that the Zawahiri tape was “most likely” authentic.
The report in the Saudi weekly came as Americans celebrated a nervous Christmas under heightened terrorist alerts and tight security nationwide.
This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/26/1072308655425.html